If you are someone who has switched on your kitchen light at night and screamed at the top of your lungs because you have spotted a creepy, crawly cockroach on your kitchen top, then you are not alone.
A kitchen cockroach problem might be the problem of every other household. But this is a problem that should be taken care of fast because cockroaches can contaminate your food and spread diseases.
Though it is necessary to call cockroach control service to take care of cockroach infestations, it is equally necessary to take these preventive measures to stop cockroaches:
1. Seal All Entry Points
This might seem like a virtually impossible task, but it is a necessary one. Seal off those tiny cracks and holes from where a kitchen cockroach can invade your home.
• Use a flashlight to locate cracks or holes in drainpipes and seal them up with a waterproof sealant.
• Look for little holes in the pipes under your sink and fix them with a waterproof sealant or urethane foam.
• Seal the holes in your walls with expanding insulation foam.
• Use a rubber drain cover or a metal drain screen to cover the entrances of your drains.
2. Clean the Cabinets in Your Kitchen
You might have a full-blown cockroach infestation on your hands if you have a few crumbs and food spills inside a kitchen cabinet.
3. Keep Garbage Cans Covered
• Use a lid with a tight-fitting container for your garbage can so that it is not easy for a kitchen cockroach to enter it.
• Keep the garbage cans clean and take out the trash every night.
4. Don’t Forget to Wash Utensils
Of course, you feel lazy to wash your dishes just after finishing a heavy meal. But leaving unwashed utensils overnight might gradually turn into a full-blown cockroach infestation at hand since cockroaches are nocturnal and prefer to come out at night to feed on the food left on the dishes.
5. Disinfect Your Kitchen Floors
The amount of dirt and grime in your kitchen is directly proportional to the amount of footfall it has. Kids, pets, and other family members can bring dirt into the kitchen. A kitchen cockroach loves dirt. That is why it is essential to disinfect your kitchen floors every day.
6. Declutter The Kitchen
A cluttered kitchen is like a 5-star hotel for a kitchen cockroach. You will never be able to spot a kitchen cockroach in all the clutter.
One of the best ways to stop the spread of cockroach infestations is to declutter your kitchen. Get rid of old cardboard boxes, plastic bags, useless cutlery, and glassware. This will also make your daily kitchen cleaning easier.
7. Fix Any Leaky Faucets You Might Have
Cockroaches are drawn to moist spaces. They can live without food for months, but they can hardly live without water.So try and keep your kitchen faucet as dry as possible by fixing any leaky areas.
It is necessary to get rid of even a single cockroach as soon as you spot it. Cockroaches release a pheromone in their droppings which acts as a signal for other cockroaches, telling them it is safe to make this place their home.
So if you see any single cockroach, it might be a sign of a full-blown cockroach infestation in the future. Take these preventive measures and call Take Care Termite, the cockroach exterminator immediately.