Do you feel guilty when you spot a rodent in your house? Let us relieve you from the thought about what loophole you left to let them in. Rodent doesn’t enter a home because of a lack of hygiene or through a big hole. Their survival instinct gets them in your home for shelter. They can squeeze in via the narrowest gap.
They don’t only feed on your food, but also your house wiring cable. The most common rodents that give householders a headache are rats and mice.
Reasons for Rodents Chewing Electrical Wire
There is a natural reason behind rats or mice chewing electrical wires. Unlike humans, teeth don’t stop growing in rodents. They need to keep chewing something to granulate their teeth. It’s the same as we cut our nails to prevent them from growing. They are attracted towards wires, mainly because they are round in shape. It makes their teeth grinding easier as they can hold the wire. They also use them as tools to build their small homes and to hide. One more reason for rodents chewing wires is it sharpen their teeth!
Not only house wiring cable but car wires are also their favourite. There is a funny reason for that. Nowadays, Car wires are manufactured with renewable and edible material like soya. So don’t be surprised if you spot rodents eating car wires. It is a double treat for them!
Signs of Rodents Chewing Wires
Some obvious signs that rats or mice infested your house are :
- You spot bite marks on wires and cable
- You hear a scratching sound behind the wall
- You spot their nest and dropping
- You directly came across mice eating car wires or rats chewing car wires.
- Flickering lights of house or microwave
- Circuits tripping
- Appliance failure
- Frequent fluctuations.
Dangers of Rodents Chewing Wires
Mice chewing wires can be responsible for incidents like electric failure and malfunctioning. The second highest reason for house fires in the U.S.A from 2012 to 2016 is electric malfunctioning. This data was in a report published by the National Fire Protection Association.
It is not a matter to take lightly. When you spot a mice or rat, you should start taking action immediately. The reason being the rat population increases rapidly. A rat and mice can produce hundreds of kids in no time.
How to Prevent Rodents from Chewing Wires
If you are sure that there are rats eating car wires or mice chewing wires somewhere in your surroundings. We recommend the following course of action
- Seal The Entry PointsRemember their ability to squeeze in from the tiniest hole. Seal each possible entry and exit point.
- EliminationYou will need to break away from the path of non-violence for this cause. Keep traps, call pest control for Rodent Control, or keep baits for them. But eliminate them as quickly as you can
- Covering The WiringUse hard covering of wires like plastic or steel. Rats and mice can’t chew on them.
- Check The Electric WiringCall a professional electrician to check and evaluate the possibility of any rodent’s presence. They have the necessary experience. They can also repair any damage early to save you more harm and cost at a later stage.
- Treat The TreeTrim the trees near your house, especially those with branches reaching out to your roof. Do this so that squirrels and rats can’t dive in.
- Mark Your TerritoryYes, it is your house, but human’s land rules are not the same for rodents. Therefore keep visiting every corner of your house regularly. This will evoke fear in them, and they will avoid your home. You will also be able to catch any mischief at an early stage, I.e., before they turn a colony from one rat, thanks to their fast reproductive system.
Wrapping It Up!
Electric damage happens very quickly due to rodents chewing wires. Follow the precautions and keep a check on sign.
Take Care Termite& Pest Control are the top pest control service provider in the central valley & surrounding areas. We eliminate any infestation by rodents and block any chance of their re-entry. Call us now and stop further encroachment by rodents!