Like most pests, birds also carry a variety of diseases which can put your health at risk. The feces, feathers, and nests of pigeons, sparrows, gulls and starlings can trigger allergies like asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and rhinitis. Even those who have birds as pets are susceptible to allergies caused by fecal matter and feather dander. Your family, children, pet dogs and cats can also develop mild to severe allergies depending on their immunity and length of exposure. Below are a few mediums that leave you vulnerable to bird allergies:
- Inhaling – dried bird droppings can trigger airborne diseases when dispersed in the air you inhale
- Eating and Drinking – consuming any food product or drinking water that is contaminated with fungi, virus or bacteria spread by birds can cause allergies
- Direct Contact–Those having birds as pets are the most at risk of developing allergies
- Insect Bites– when insects bite an infected or diseased bird, they become carriers of bacterial, fungal and viral infections that are then transferred to humans through insect bites
If you have an allergy, you may experience the following symptoms:
Symptoms of Bird Allergies
- Puffy and itchy eyes
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Sinus pressure
- Allergic shiners
- Itchy mouth
- Stuffy nose and throat
- Prolonged coughing
- Occasional fever and chills
If you experience any of these symptoms, don’t ignore them thinking that they are temporary reactions to dust, dirt and changing weather. When left untreated, bird allergies may prove to be detrimental to your health and wellbeing.
Treatment for Bird Allergies
Your doctor will assess your previous medical records to ensure that the allergy is caused due to bird feather or fecal matter. Usually, basic symptoms of bird allergies need no serious treatment and soon disappear with discontinued exposure to bird allergens. The medications commonly prescribed for treating bird problems include corticosteroids, antihistamines, and decongestants.
Bird Control Service – The Best Prevention to All Bird Problems
The most effective measure to prevent bird problems from adversely affecting your health is hiring a professional bird control service provider. Take Care Termite and Pest Control offers safe and effective bird control solutions that prevent birds from creating unsanitary conditions and spreading allergies. Highly recommended human bird control solutions include netting, spikes, and shock strips.
For customized bird control service and sanitization treatments that fit your budget and suit your unique spaces, call us at (209) 832-7300.